Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Runner Up!

I am so stinking excited to learn that my Scotch Eggs and Scones recipe was a runner up in the Vegan/Chopped competition (receiving the “oh-no-she-didn’t” award). 

I wish I had taken a picture now of the destruction that was our kitchen during the making of this dish.  Does anyone else have the problem of dirtying dang near every measuring cup, spoon, mixing bowl and cutting board  they own for one meal?

Anyway, vegan validation feels so good.  As my husband is fond of saying, when he met me, I could burn water.  (Seriously it was the pan that burned...the water just evaporated).  I never learned to cook growing up, because my mother issued an ultimatum to my father when I was nine years old after which the only thing she EVER made for dinner was reservations.  It went something like this "If you come home one more time and tell me you aren't hungry because you grabbed a Big Mac after work, that is the last time I am going to waste my time cooking for you."  Perhaps that was my father's plan all along, as he grabbed a burger on the way home the very next day and that was that. (Yeah, before you ask, they are totally divorced now.)

For the first nine years of my marriage, the kitchen was my husband's domain.  Lets just say he did not marry me for my domestic skills.  But when we decided to go vegan a year ago (after a slow transition to a whole food diet that had nonetheless consisted of meat and cheese to that point), neither of us knew what we were doing, and, in an effort to ensure that inconvenience was no excuse to abandon the cause, I told him I would take care of the cooking.

Turns out I couldn't cook vegan either. It is a tragedy when a dish goes straight from the stove top to the trash.

Then enter PPK.

A year later, I have arrived! (Hey, I live in the sticks...trust me, this is arrived!)

No comments:

Post a Comment