Saturday, October 27, 2012

Why Mom Makes the Best Spaghetti and a Vegetarian Drive-Thru!

The truth is I have no idea why my Mom's spaghetti is the best in the world.  Her secret recipe includes not much more than tomato soup, garlic, no salt seasoning, and lots and lots of ground beef.  The amazing thing about mom's spaghetti is that when she veganizes it by merely substituting the beef for lots and lots of crumbled soy protein, its still the world's best spaghetti!!!  Must be the company, but I can NEVER make mine taste like hers.

Our route home from Mom's takes us through Asheville, NC.  We usually make a point to have dinner at Plant when we are in the area, but today we were short on time, so decided to give VegHeads Drive-Thru a try.  Yes, you heard that right - a vegetarian drive-thru!

First we pulled up to the order board and were actually greeted!   Remember this lovely customer service tradition of days gone by?  With drive-thru etiquette these days ranging from "Help you?" to "What?, it was refreshing to hear "Welcome to VegHeads; Can I take your order please?" or something equally courteous and professional.

The hubby ordered the Philly Cheese Seitan Wrap sans cheese which prompted the insightful question, "Would you like that made vegan?"  Why yes, yes we would!  I ordered the Korean BBQ Tempeh Wrap and a vegan cupcake because, well, I never pass up vegan baked goods.

We were greeted at the pickup window by a girl who was even more helpful and polite in person than her voice had led us to believe.


The brown bag really does not do the food justice!
.

I unrolled my wrap to get a look at the beautiful Thai cabbage slaw, but the tangy BBQ sauce is really the show stopper here.  If I could have had my fondest wish, it would have been a tad warmer, but after three or four bites, my mouth was too full to complain.














I didn't dare unroll the hubby's Seitan Wrap because you just don't mess with a man's sandwich!  But I did beg a bite and wow, just wow!  It was warm and savory and gooey and who needs cheese anyway?  Seriously they could probably make some extra $$ by offering vegan cheese as an option, but we didn't miss it one little bit. 











The only thing that did not wow me was the icing on the cupcake.  The cake was wonderful, but I thought the icing texture was a bit like a half melted candy bar, but the hubby loved it (and he hates chocolate, so this is saying something!)  The fact that the icing was more crunchy than creamy does lend it the advantage of portability that other cupcakes lack.  Still, I probably would not order this again because there are a number of sides I would probably prefer - the Israeli Cous Cous sounds divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment